GIS - Data Management Specialist
Company: Jamestown S'Klallam Tribe
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Jamestown S'Klallam Tribe (JST) is searching for a full-time
Natural Resources Geographic Information Systems (GIS)/Data
Management Specialist to join their team! This position develops
GIS products to support environmentally sound land use planning and
natural resource management within the JST geographic area of
interest. Under the direction of the Environmental Planning
Manager, the incumbent prepares, evaluates, maintains and stores
data in a variety of databases. Through data inquiry and
management, this position supports the Natural Resource Department
in land use decisions, resource management, JST environmental
permit applications, and other actions that may impact Tribal
cultural and natural resources. This position provides
recommendations to the Natural Resources Department on GIS and GPS
technologies, land use planning, database development, and sampling
design. The GIS Specialist is exceptionally skilled at geospatial
analysis and cartography. The incumbent supports field staff in the
use of GPS, and assists in the maintenance of department records.
Ensuring that staff have ready access to data, analysis, and
graphical products, along with developing and maintaining web maps,
are primary responsibilities of the position.
Why work for Jamestown S'Klallam Tribe?
As a committed and collaborative partner in our community for
over four decades, the Jamestown S'Klallam Tribe (JST) has
continued to grow the areas of economic development, healthcare,
natural resources, hospitality, cultural preservation, and the
arts. Through our Resort Enterprises and Tribal Government, we are
now the second largest employer in Clallam County, and provide a
wide range of employment opportunities to our Tribal Citizens and
Our employees are like extended family, and we believe in
providing employee benefit programs and incentives that cultivate a
positive and enriching work environment, and healthy lifestyle. We
hope that each of our employees continue to honor our commitment to
our community and to treat our guests like family as well.
If you would like to become a part of our team, check out this
position's job details below, and apply today! Make sure to include
current email and phone contacts for all provided professional and
personal references in your application.
As a GIS-Data Management Specialist, you will:
- Maintain Tribes GIS system: Responsible for developing,
implementing, and maintaining standard and specialized Geographic
Information System (GIS) applications for the Natural Resources
Department. Compiles, stores, updates, manages, analyzes and
displays data for the Natural Resources department staff.
Responsible for developing and maintain robust metadata for
department data and ensuring compliance with federal metadata
- Information Gathering and Database Management: Assists Natural
Resources department staff in data gathering, compilation, mapping,
analyzing and provides input on sampling design. Maintain
department databases including the Tribes property database. Assist
staff with data uploads to State/Federal databases.
- Public Education and Involvement Tools: Assist Natural
Resources department and River Center staff by providing
computer-generated visual tools for public education, and other
Tribal and public involvement activities. Develop data, analysis,
and graphical products to support effective land use development
and natural resources conservation. Ensure that staff have ready
access to data, analysis, and graphical products to support
department operations and decision-making.
What are the Required Qualifications for this position?
- Bachelor's degree and two (2) years work experience in GIS (or
relevant field or combination of relevant education and training
may be used in lieu of education and professional experience.
- Proficiency and experience in the following word-processing,
spreadsheet, GIS and GPS programs
- Proficiency and experience with the following graphics and
- High proficiency in cartography and producing reports and
presentations of geographic information.
- Ability to coordinate data exchanges between
- Exceptional interpersonal skills including effective verbal and
- Ability to travel locally and regionally as assigned
- Valid Drivers License
- Must be able to successfully pass criminal background
What are the Preferred Qualifications for this position?
- Experience with land use or natural resources planning.
- Knowledge of computer software/hardware, networks and related
systems is a plus.
- Experience developing and maintaining web maps, GIS Servers, or
other data serving/sharing systems.
- Experience with projects that required database
design/implementation a plus.
- Experience automating GIS and data management processes or
- Effective time management, decision-making, and problem-solving
- Demonstrate initiative, work independently with little
- American Indian/Alaska Native preferences apply
Keywords: Jamestown S'Klallam Tribe, Everett , GIS - Data Management Specialist, Other , Sequim, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!