Geriatric Complex Care RN Case Manager
Posted on: January 9, 2022
The Everett Clinic, part of Optum, is seeking a Geriatric
Complex Care RN Case Manager to join their Primary Care Department
full time onsite in Everett, working a 4-10 schedule.*We are
offering a $7500 Sign on Bonus for this position.*The Geriatric
Complex Care RN Case Manager functions as an integral member of the
healthcare team and is responsible for: Under minimal supervision,
responsible for ensuring the continuity of care in the outpatient
setting utilizing the appropriate resources within the parameters
of established contracts and patients' health plan benefits.
Facilitates continuum of patients' care utilizing advanced nursing
knowledge, experience and skills to ensure appropriate utilization
of resources and patient quality outcomes. Performs care management
functions on-site and telephonically as the need arises. Works in
conjunction with the care team and PCP as care team leader to
develop a patient centered plan of care. The Geriatric Complex Care
RN Case Manager is responsible for and not limited to:
- Prioritizes patient care needs upon initial visit and addresses
- Meets with patients, patients' family and caregivers as needed
to discuss care and treatment plan.
- Identifies and assists with the follow-up of high-risk patients
in acute care settings, skilled nursing facilities, custodial and
- Consults with physician and other team members to ensure that
care plan is successfully implemented.
- Coordinates treatment plans with the care team and triages
interventions appropriate to the skill set of the team members.
Uses protocols and pathways in line with established disease
management and care management programs in order to optimize
clinical outcomes and minimize unnecessary institutional care.
- Monitors and coaches patients using techniques of motivational
interviewing and behavioral change to maximize
- Oversees provisions for discharge from facilities including
follow-up appointments, home health, social services,
transportation, etc. in order to maintain continuity of care.
- Works in coordination with the care team and demonstrates
accountability with patient management and outcome.
- Discusses Durable Power of Attorney (DPOA) and advanced
directive status with patient and PCP when applicable.
- Maintains effective communication with the physicians,
hospitalists, extended care facilities, patients and families.
- Provides accurate information to patients and families
regarding resources available to them through health plan benefits,
community resources, and referrals.
- Participates actively in Monthly Care Management Department
meetings and daily huddles.
- Documents pertinent patient information and Care Management
Plan in Electronic Health Record.
- Coordinates care with central departments on assigned patient
caseload, including, inpatient, long term care facilities, adult
family homes, and home health agencies.
- Demonstrates a thorough understanding of the cost consequences
resulting from Care Management decisions through utilization
reports and systems such as Health Plan Benefits, CM dashboards and
- Maintains concise and accurate documentation that supports
effective and efficient management of care plans to decrease
Emergency and hospital readmissions.
- Adheres to departmental policies and procedures. Uses,
protects, and discloses HCP patients' protected health information
(PHI) only in accordance with Health Insurance Portability and
Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards.
- Participates in training all new care managersPreferred
Experience and Credentials:
- Knowledge: Knowledge of current standards of patient care.
Thorough understanding of RN scope of practice. Knowledge of ICD
and CPT coding preferred; knowledge of medical terminology and
managed care required. Knowledge of organizational policies,
regulations and procedures to administer patient care. Knowledge of
medical equipment and instruments, common safety hazards, and
precautions to establish a safe work environment.
- Skills: Skill in identifying problems, researching and
recommending solutions. Skill in preparing and maintaining records
and establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
with patients, medical staff and the public. Good professional
communications and interpersonal skills. Strong organizational
skills to set priorities and ability to work with high degree of
accuracy and attention to details while responding to tight
deadlines and multiple priorities and demands.
- Abilities: Computer literate, and ability to type 25 wpm.
Ability to effectively communication and collaborate with
physicians, patients, families, and teammates. Ability to make
sound, independent judgements and act professionally under
pressure. Manual dexterity to use/handle equipment and instruments.
- Education: Bachelors degree from a four-year college and/or
professional certification requiring formal education beyond a
two-year college; Bachelors degree in Nursing preferred. Graduation
from an accredited school of Nursing.
- Experience: Minimum of three (3) to five (5) years experience
in clinical setting demonstrating the ability to assess, document,
and implement the nursing care plan; minimum of three (3) to five
(5) years of acute nursing experience in critical care. Previous
care management, utilization review or discharge planning
experience, and HMO experience, preferred.
- Certificate/License: Washington State Registered Nurse license.
Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare providers (AHA). A
Washington State drivers license and vehicle for work-related
travel, required. Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential
requirement of this role. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all
federal, state and local regulations as well as all client
requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination prior
to employment to ensure compliance.UnitedHealth Group requires all
new hires and employees to report their COVID-19 vaccination
Keywords: Optum, Everett , Geriatric Complex Care RN Case Manager, Healthcare , Everett, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!